This 1 day course will guide you through necessary steps for making a Victorian Ball bodice and is targetted at our Victorian Ball guests ( so mostly 1860-70 bodices), but small varieties could be catered for as well.
You will be working to a pattern of your choice ( links to recommended ones as well as suppliers list will be emialed to the course participants) and during the day you will learn the following:
* using the commercial pattern - drafting a mock up based on the commercial pattern, pattern paper supplied
* making a mock up in calico ( provided)
* fitting techniques - how to adress different fitting issues and addapt the main pattern
* cutting out fabric and making up the bodice using both modern and Victorian dressmaking techniques
* discussing a range of finishing and embelishing techniques, time permitting.
Depending on your own sewing experience, at the end you will have at working pattern for a future use, a well fitted mock up and a fitted bodice, with only the finishing touches left as a homework...
* sewing experience required - you will need to bring your own sewing machine ( a hire might be possible, please ask if needed), and be able to use basic stitch.
* you will need to bring your corset - all bodices will be fitted to your corseted silhouette. if you have / plan a bustle outfit, bring the bustle as well, if possible.
* you will bring your own fabric - though calico for the mock up is provided. full list will be provided.
The workshop is on the premises of a sewing centre - they do stock fabrics etc if you forget something. They also have a nice cafeteria providing reaaonably priced and tasty lunches :-) Tea and coffee provided free of charge